New Grant Program · 2019
Bi-Rite Family of Businesses Grant Program
Bi-Rite is deeply committed to making a difference by supporting organizations that are doing incredible work to care for historically underserved members of our community. This year, we’re excited to launch our NEW Grant Program. This program offers sustainable impact grants to nonprofit organizations in San Francisco providing direct services in alignment with Bi-Rite’s community mission of Empowering Youth, Strengthening Community, and Creating resilience at the intersection of food, youth, and education.
Applications open June 19, 2019 – July 28, 2019
In our inaugural year, the Bi-Rite Family of Businesses will award two sustainable impact grants, of $10,000 each, to nonprofit organizations who meet the following criteria:
- Nonprofit organizations with 501(c)(3) status
- NPOs aligned with our community mission of empowering youth, strengthening community, and creating resilience at the intersection of food, youth, and education
- NPOs operating in and providing direct services to populations in San Francisco only
- Small NPOs (overall operating budget of less than $500,000 annually) or new NPOs (have been in operation for fewer than 5 years)
Building sustainable impact
Building sustainable impact
We are looking for game-changing ideas that create better opportunities and outcomes for the future. Grant recipients should be working to significantly increase the impact of their organization or a program by building a model that can scale and succeed beyond the funding cycle.
The Bi-Rite Family of Businesses Grant Program WILL fund two organizations seeking to:
- Create or re-examine organizational plans
- Initiate collaboration with other nonprofits
- Develop new sources for earned income
- Build foundational planning such as mission, vision and values
- Increase ability to reach underserved populations
The Bi-Rite Family of Businesses WILL NOT fund organizations seeking to:
- Pay for staff to attend one-time-only events
- Aid in debt reduction
- Secure bridge or interim funding
- Support annual fundraisers
- Fund endowments or private foundations
As a recipient of a Bi-Rite Family of Businesses Grant, the organization will partake in trimester check-ins, over the course of a year, with a mentorship committee, comprised of experts and visionaries in their field. Recipients will come to each check-in ready to report on measurable metrics for success as well as discuss the overall implementation of the funding.
Applicants will be asked what kind of support, guidance, and expertise they’ll be seeking from the mentorship committee in order to make their project or program a success. Examples of this could be (but aren’t limited to): help with marketing, communications and storytelling, mission, vision and values development work, or financial planning for long-term organizational resiliency.
We will be reviewing grants between July 29 and early August, 2019. Applicants will receive an email by the end of that time period, updating them as to the status of their application.
Organizations accepted into the final round of review will meet with the selection committee for short, in-person presentations in mid-August, 2019 and awardees will be announced the first week of September, 2019.
Questions about about the application or the Bi-Rite Family of Businesses Grant Program can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org